Long term and short term insurance Ombudsman
Insurance companies have been inundated with claims in 2021 – but people have also been lodging complaints against insurance companies in record numbers.
Most insurance companies subscribe to Ombudsman schemes. An Ombudsman is an independent official who helps the public by investigating their complaints against companies – in this case, insurance companies.
There are two major types of insurances (long term and short term)m– and both have their own Ombudsman to submit complaints to. It is important to know the difference between these two types of insurances.
Short term insurance
This is non-life cover –and this type of insurance provides cover for vehicles, property, home contents, medical/gap, travel, business or personal liability.
Long term insurance
This type of insurance provides cover in the event of death, funeral, disability, critical illness or credit life.
The Ombudsman for Long-term insurance has had 8 300 requests for assistance in the first half of 2021, compared to 5 606 during the same period last year. They also recovered R77,9 million for complainants.
You can complain to the Long-term insurance Ombudsman about the following:
- Where your claim has been declined by your insurer
- If you are dissatisfied with the policy performance and maturity values;
- Poor service;
- Lapsing of your policy;
- If you are dissatisfied with your surrender or paid-up values;
- Partial payment of claims;
- Credit Retrenchment insurance
The Long-term insurance Ombudsman deals with life insurance / long-term insurance policies which provide:
- Annuities (but not retirement annuities);
- Life Insurance;
- Disability Insurance;
- Health Insurance;
- Funeral Insurance;
- Credit Life complaints;
- Hospital Plan Insurance;
- Dread disease Insurance.
The Long-term insu2rance Ombudsman cannot deal with complaints:
- That are not against life insurers
- Financial advice or service by intermediaries
- Pension and provident funds, retirement annuities and preservation funds;
- Short-term insurance;
- Labour disputes;
- Medical Aid;
- Debt review, credit issues, ITC/blacklisting complaints.
There is NO COST attached when you lay a complaint with the Office of the Long-term insurance Ombudsman. They can be contacted on.
Email: [email protected]
Sharecall: 0860 103 236
Tel: 021 657 5000
The Short – term insurance Ombudsman deals with personal lines short-term insurance disputes including disputes relating to:
- Motor Insurance
- Homeowners insurance (buildings)
- Household insurance (contents)
- Cell phone insurance
- Travel insurance
- [Disability insurance
- Credit protection insurance
There is NO COST attached when you lay a complaint with the Office of the Short -term insurance Ombudsman. They can be contacted on:
Email: [email protected]
Sharecall: 0860 726 890