What can’t debt collectors do?
Important to your own financial well-being, ensuring you don’t get taken advantage of, here are some things that debt collectors cannot do.
- They cannot call you outside of work hours- 8am to 5pm- unless they have been given permission by the consumer.
- A collector may not call you at work if they have been told it is not allowed by your employer
- A debt collector may not contact your employer regarding your debt, unless that debt is past-due child maintenance.
- Contact family or friends regarding your debt, unless to find out your contact information- they may not disclose the reason for requesting the information.
- They may not communicate with you using a post card or envelope that shows it is being sent from a debt collector.
- A debt collector may not call you repeatedly in a relatively short period of time- for example multiple times in a morning or afternoon.
- Use foul language when talking to or confronting you.
- Order you to accept their calls when it suits them.
- They may not deposit a post-dated check from you before the date on the check.
- Collect more credit than you owe, unless stated in the contract with the creditor.